Tuesday, November 28, 2017

boyhood alarm

Boyhood Alarm© Tony Fallon 112817
I was in my uncle’s garden climbing up the apple tree
When the branch broke and I fell and cut my right knee
There were no bones broken but there was a lot of blood
So I must have looked a sorry sight sitting there in the mud
You said if it was broken I’d be treated like cattle and horses
I’d have to be shot after they’d brought in the armed forces  
I had never seen you before and despite being very pretty
Talking about having me shot I could see you lacked pity
I asked if you could go in and ask the woman known as granny
For soap and a towel but not mention it to my uncle Danny
You went in and said “there’s someone dying out in the yard
And if he doesn’t die soon, for life he definitely will be scarred”
You almost gave poor granny an instant heart attack
And she tripped over the sleeping dog trying to get out back
She banged her head on the closet you thought she was dying
So you abandoned us and ran to your mother crying
So now in our family, there were two people down
Who was going to help us my auntie had gone to town
Unbeknownst to me Uncle Danny had taken the jeep
And was over in the main farm checking on the sheep
So granny was unconscious and I didn’t want to walk
And you were crying so much you couldn’t even talk
Thank God your poor mother became a bit alarmed
And worried that her neighbors had been harmed
I don’t know what she thought when she found me
Sitting with a bloodied knee in the muck beneath the tree
But once she found my granny I was quickly ignored
And no one bothered with me until granny was restored
After the excitement, you did come out with a cup of tea
And sounded like you were worried about my wounded knee
Thank God my cut was not too deep and I wasn’t maimed
It did get infected and for a week or so it was a bit inflamed
But I did recover fully and it didn’t really affect my life
I never imagined when I was seven you’d one day be my wife.

It’s Nov 28. 28 down and 2 to go 

No comments:

Post a Comment