Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The chance Meeting(1107)

The Chance meeting © Tony Fallon110717
It was on Main Street that we chanced to meet
As you asked me for complicated directions
I said it wasn’t far if you were driving a car
If walking you’d have to take it in sections
You’d go north for a mile then east for awhile
Until you came to the self-service gas station
There’s an Indian man who wears a turban
You could ask him for more information
After you’d inquired I’m sure you’d be tired
From lugging those two big heavy suitcases
Most would agree you should have a cup of tea
And rest for a while before taking more paces
I’m sure that by now you’d be wishing how
You had not taken a bus or cab from Coxackie
I’m assuming you don’t know and it is a show
There are no cabs in this town which is tacky
While I was talking you said you were walking
So I thought this situation needs some correction
Then I thought of a plan sure I had a van
That was in for its annual inspection
I said would you demur or think me a cur
If I offered you absolutely free transportation
I’ll put the cases in the boot and shorten your route
And take you to your destination
You said if it was clearer and you were much nearer
You’d never accept a ride from a perfect stranger
I must have sounded like a jerk I said I’m not perfect
That must have only heightened the worry of danger
No harm was intended and you weren’t offended
And even good stories like this have an ending
The ride there was subdued I never was rude

Our first date next Tuesday is pending

No comments:

Post a Comment