Monday, November 13, 2017

The Girl from Athenry.....(10517)

The girl from Athenry © Tony fallon10517
I left a girl in Dublin in two thousand and three
I wonder if she’s still alive and if she thinks of me
She came from County Galway and the town of Athenry
As I said goodbye to her that day I tried hard not to cry
She said for my return she would forever sadly wait
She became hysterical as I walked through the gate
Well when I landed in America I got blinded by the stars
And I was quickly introduced to cheap booze in the Irish bars
I played soccer for years in The Cosmopolitan New York league
And at Christmas, I’d send a few dollars to my folks in Athleague
She mailed me many love letters always asking for a quick reply
But sure I was useless at writing letters to the girl from Athenry
After being here for six months or so I met an old girlfriend
There was some spark left still and I didn’t want to offend
I guess I burned the candle at both ends and finally got burned
The girl in Dublin would barely talk to me when I returned
When I came back to New York the one here said goodbye
Someone had seen me in Dublin with the girl from Atherny
I’m working in construction in New York without a wife
I tell everyone who’ll listen I enjoy the single life
I also say I don’t want to be tied down that I’d rather be free
But being single in New York isn’t all it’s cracked up to be
I never will forget the Galway girl and the day we said goodbye
I wonder if she’s still in Dublin or she went home to Athenry
So if you are ever in Dublin and you meet this Galway maid
Tell her you met the man she once loved who had strayed
Tell her that he knows he did her wrong and is full of regret
He would fly to her arms once more if she would just forget
He can’t forget her smile or her eyes as blue as an Irish sky
He’d go home in the morning to be with the girl from Athenry
>This is a copyrighted article for your reading pleasure only.<

No comments:

Post a Comment