Monday, November 20, 2017

By the Lake....(71417)

By the Lake © Tony Fallon71417
By yon lake, there lived a maid in Levi dungarees
And she had them cut off just below the knees
She had roses round the door of her spotless bungalow
She had a Scottish accent she grew up in Glasgow
Whenever she went walking she took her pocketbook
I don’t know what was in there I never got to look
I planned my walk each evening I thought she was groovy
Much prettier than any girl I had ever seen in any movie.
At first, I was very shy and said: “may I join in your trek?”
When she agreed I had to keep my excitement in check
Her dog was a tail wagger full of warmth and grace
If I bent down to pet him he’d lovingly lick my face
Conscious of my upbringing at first I was a little bit demure
And often used big words to sound a bit more mature
To be in her company any evening really was a treasure
We slowly walked the country lanes at a pace of leisure
She was prepared for anything with a walking stick umbrella
I silently prayed that I would rain so I’d be closer to Stella
When it came to nature around she had a great attitude
You could tell she loved being alive and was full of gratitude
I often wondered if I didn’t show up would she walk so far
Or would she just accept a ride from someone in a car
I know that if she was missing I’d probably fret and brood
And would not at all enjoy the unexpected solitude
In the six years I knew her we walked hundreds of miles
And the things that she told me gave me hundreds of smiles
In all those years she never walked out with any other fellas
And if she had walked out with them I would have been jealous
When I left for America her tears flowed like falling rain
And I was bawling like a baby myself as I took my seat in the train
To everybody in the village, we must have been an odd pair
The gangly teenager and the forty-year-old with grey ribs in her hair
I told my wife in America I was coming home for an old friends wake
I didn’t specify it was Stella, the blind girl, who lived by yon lake


No comments:

Post a Comment