Friday, January 5, 2018

A Sad Partingby ©Tony Fallon042917.

A Sad Partingby ©Tony Fallon042917  We stood beside the fence and I held you oh so tight The next day I’d be in New York this was our final night I felt your body shaking as the tears rolled down your face I never felt as uncomfortable as I stared out into space. I never will forget the day your family moved in next door I was a little over five and you were a few months past four You had all come home from England this was to be your base Your parents spent every penny buying your grandfather's place All the neighbors had said that the old house was always haunted But my mother used the holy water and made you all feel wanted If there was a ghost there the holy water certainly did the trick And your family was never haunted and was very rarely sick I was your guardian angel when you started to walk to school I punched many noses that made fun of your accent from Blackpool Even though you were small for your you age you were very strong And you never took shit from anyone who ever did you wrong I often saw you lose a fight or lose a game but I would be lying If I was to say that before that night anybody ever saw you crying I knew as I held you weeping that night your love for me was true But with no education or money, I was not worthy of you We were always together I thought we were the perfect pair If you went with all who wanted you I wouldn’t have a prayer I said I would go to America and from College would graduate And I would come back a better man if you would agree to wait. My heart was surely breaking as I walked towards that big plane I almost turned back once or twice to be with you Elaine On the ride over to America, I made a promise to give up the beer Later I went over to St. John's in Queens and I became a Pioneer* All the letters and clippings you sent me for the soul they were food Many nights I came home exhausted and they’d pick up my mood For years on nights and weekends, I went to many, many schools I know how to work computers and I can also fix them with tools People may say for a farmer I may be into spelling corrections I certainly will not be like that but I’ll be able to talk about elections I hope that all those long and lonely years that we’ve had to sacrifice Will bring us closer together and be well worth the price I told you that night I would be true even from far across the sea Well I’m coming home tomorrow, and I hope you’ll marry me

No comments:

Post a Comment