Monday, January 29, 2018

The Ocean between us © Tony Fallon012918.

The Ocean between us © Tony Fallon012918.

The Atlantic Ocean is between us just three thousand miles
A place just outside Thurles Ireland west of the British Isles
But there is more than three thousand miles between
The Mayo barman in New York and his Tipperary Queen
If the only thing was water that was keeping me at bay
I’d be back home in the morning in Tipperary so far away
My buddies and I were touring and were in a bar one night
I spied the maid behind the bar it was true love at first sight
What an incredible family they were like a loving mob
And I loved them even more when the father offered me a job
Well I never went back to Mayo next year she was my bride
My mother came from Achill and like all mothers she cried
Things were going so well until one night I drank poteen
Sometime after midnight who showed up but my sister in law Jean
I don’t know what questions I asked I don’t know what I said
But when I woke next morning I was in the wrong sister’s bed
This guaranteed a family row and all options were discussed
She said if you couldn’t even trust us two who could she trust
I suggested I be banished for a while to Dublin or Cork
She said Dublin wouldn’t be far enough but how about New York
So now I’m a block away for Broadway living the life of a monk
With my beautiful bride in Ireland I don’t trust myself to get drunk
I don’t know how long will be my exile but I’m full of remorse

And I know she’ll forgive me because she doesn’t believe in divorce

No comments:

Post a Comment