Monday, January 1, 2018

A Summer Vacation © Tony Fallon.061917

A Summer Vacation © Tony Fallon.061917

I wish I was in Ireland three thousand miles away
I think I’d go to Salthill and feel the Atlantic spray
After a few days in Galway I’d probably hire a van
And head off to Cong where they filmed The Quite Man
I’d take pictures for posterity of the fields so green
Once threaded on by John Wayne and our own Maureen
I’d surely stop in Knock for Holy water and a prayer
Before heading down to the Burren, in the County Clare.
I’d love to meet with Sharon Shannon or maybe Steve Earl
But Sharon lives in Galway now she is the Galway Girl
Down in County Kerry I’d have to visit Maharees
Where Tommy Goodwin learned his music under the trees
When I get into Cork I must go and visit old Kinsale
And check out the Desmond house which was once a jail.
Then next to Tipperary whose dairy products are acclaimed
And for dairy farms whose cleanliness is world famed
Over in Kilkenny I’d watch the young men drill and train
As they continue the latest All Ireland hurling campaign
Every night I’d be going to sessions to hear the sounds
And I’m sure with all the food I’d have put on a few pounds
The time would be fast approaching to go back across the waves
And I still hadn’t gone to Roscommon to visit family graves
I’d never hear the end of it if I didn’t visit Sharon and Joan
As I headed westward again towards the bridge of Athlone
At graves in Kiltoom and Rahara I’d probably shed sad tears
As I prayed at graves of relatives going back a thousand years
And then once again I’d leave a land that surely is a jewel

As I look fondly towards Barnacullen in front of my old school.

No comments:

Post a Comment