Monday, January 1, 2018

Little Mary Ellen © Tony Fallon051717

Little Mary Ellen © Tony Fallon051717

Little Mary Ellen is a filly that races in New York
I knew another Mary Ellen who used to race in Cork
One could do the 800 meters in about two minutes flat
I assumed the other would run a mile about the same as that
To spend money on the Corkonian was often worth the cost
But when I put money on the other she went out and lost
One had a lovely figure and long blond curly hair
Within a year or two the other will be a big fat mare
She looked a little too cocky in the post parade
And didn’t look like of the others she was a bit afraid
The jockey was a Mexican I think his name was Jose 
It didn’t matter who he was this was not his day
To finish at least second or third that’s all I ask
They fitted her with blinkers I think it was a mask
A filly who ran like that surely wouldn’t want to be known
As I returned sadly to my pad my allowance blown
I have pleasant memories of Mary Ellen by Cork quay

I’ll never bet on the other one again until my dying day.

No comments:

Post a Comment