Monday, January 22, 2018

The Child in me © Tony Fallon 012218

The Child in me © Tony Fallon 012218

It’s been a long time since I was a child
But memories of then in my brain is filed
I certainly did not grow up rich
But we had food and knew our niche
Very few can become rich overnight
So you went your way and was polite
I don’t remember my younger days
That certainly was a carefree phase
Except that I had to wear stupid glasses
Before I attended my first school classes
Glasses and I certainly did not agree
So for a few years I was glasses free
Then the teacher insisted I check my eyes
I was back with glasses to no ones surprise
Shortly after I was in the Mater in a bed
With bandages wrapped around my head.
From Roscommon the distance was vast
It would be almost as easy to get to Belfast
Two weeks in bed that was their plan
A ten year old having to use a bed pan
Three lonely weeks I somehow endured
And I prayed to God my eyes were cured
Then one night without any kind of review
I was sent back home with an ambulance crew
You can only imagine my mother’s surprise
We were both so happy like we had won a prize
So after years of testing scares and frights
None of it helped my eyes or my sight
So that’s why today I’m still wearing glasses

And it is true no pretty girls ever make passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment