Tuesday, January 16, 2018

January Storm © Tony Fallon 011618

January Storm © Tony Fallon 011618

I haven’t gone out my back door since seventeen
And probably won’t again until the grass turns green
There’s ice on the deck there’s more ice on the stairs
I’m a prisoner in my apartment a terrible state of affairs

I happen to be in the back apartment above my little store
So if I use the emergency exit I can get out and in that door
I don’t park my van in my yard because I’d feel like an ass
If I couldn’t get out my driveway which is like a sheet of glass

The temperature doesn’t go over freezing either day or night
The north wind blowing down the street has a terrible bite
And to keep us miserable the forecast says at least two weeks
Meanwhile if you look there’s snow on all the Catskill peaks

When the temperature plunged nightly pipes got frozen water
All those frozen pipes will burst when the weather gets hotter
Three weeks from now when it goes up to sixty five degrees
Homeowners will be in the basement water up to their knees

A radiator exploded on me one night about three years ago
But I own a Hardware Store and had the tools to stop the flow
I was talking to a fellow today with the weather he is annoyed
He’s sleeping in the kitchen his carpets are all destroyed.

There’s ice on the sidewalk that I swear is a strong as asphalt
And it won’t even start melting after a forty pound bag of salt
Yesterday to melt the ice accumulating on my front porch
I had to go out and melt it with a mechanics acetylene torch

Up to ten inches promised tonight I’m stuck at home base
I have apple pie and ice cream soon I’ll be feeding my face
I don’t even switch on the radio to hear another weather report
I’m irritable and cranky not at all my usual pleasing comport

No comments:

Post a Comment