Monday, January 15, 2018

My first home ©Tony Fallon 011518

My first home ©Tony Fallon 011518

Memories of my first home remain with me
Thousands of miles across the sea
Far too many to fit on one small page
So what I leave out I’ll have to gauge
At one I was in hospital and always had a fear
That one day both my parents would disappear
I also was troubled with being lazy eyed
So on my good one a black patch was applied
All that accomplished was trips and falls
Falling down steps and running into walls
I had an operation which was very complex
It sure didn’t help I’m still wearing specs
I played some football and oft took the hurl
But at dancing I’d get dizzy if I tried to whirl.
I remember days when we went to the bog
In our house we always had one cat and dog
The three miles to school was a bit of a hike
But we had great fun in the lake catching pike
I’ll never forget the fresh water from the well
And two times a day hearing the angelus bell
I’ll never forget the sound of a steam train
Or the first time in the sky that I saw a plane
My mother put green apples in a cock of hay
And froze getting potatoes out of a pit of clay
The turkeys and hens were always looking for food
And we laughed as the cow chewed and chewed
Far away from the drudgery of farming I can’t explain
How I can remember the sunshine but not the rain


No comments:

Post a Comment