Sunday, January 14, 2018

The home life © Tony Fallon 011418.

The home life © Tony Fallon 011418.

I’m three thousand miles from Erin’s isle because of immigration
But the home I left behind needs no photo or fancy illustration
Far out in the country many miles from the nearest town
In Barnacullen Rahara where my parents settled down
Rahara Parish was two Irish words which in English is high place
We were the last house in the Parish with loads of open space
Our neighbors were spaced far apart in our fair sized village
When I was growing up there was cattle sheep and tillage
It was in a little valley right in front of a turlough lake
There was fresh fish in the summer in the winter duck and drake
My Father was a builder who built houses walls and tanks
And often fixed up old family houses for returning yanks
Many of my days of youth were spent on building sites
And the two of us would be cycling home with no bicycle lights
That always bothered me that batteries cost so many shillings
Luckily there were not many cars or there would be many more killings
In our neighbors field there was a big unfinished water tank
I went into it once for a ball if there was water I’d have sank
But I couldn’t get out of the empty tank for my age I wasn’t tall
And no matter how I tried I couldn’t grab the top of the wall
Then I remembered the story of the half jar of water and the bird
And started gathering small stones in case I’d never be heard
I’m sure you realize by now that I finally got out and went home

If I didn’t and nobody found me you wouldn’t be reading this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment