Saturday, December 30, 2017

Christmas night © by Tony Fallon.010217

Christmas night © by Tony Fallon.010217
I woke up with a start I felt your presence there
Sitting across from me on your old broken chair
Something rolled down my cheek I tasted salty tears
The first Christmas you were missing in nearly fifty years
Outside the rain was lashing against the window pane
Inside your dog was straining trying to slip his chain
How can I forget the day we met and you with that big eye patch
To hide the big black swollen eye you got in a boxing match
Later I saw you at the dance hall you could really use your feet,
I guess that came from your hard training as a boxing athlete.
When you asked me out to dance I said yes without a fuss
As we danced across the floor all eyes were trained on us.
I who was so excited I could hardly breathe in or exhale
You with the black eye patch and a big long pony tail
I marveled at the way you guided me without any faults.
Through quick steps, foxtrots and an old time Irish waltz.
We danced the whole night long you would not let me go
The other girls were jealous as hell and I was all aglow
I loved every thing about you especially your brains
And I didn’t want them ruined by long fighting campaigns
You asked if I would be your girl after the Highland fling
And I said I would only if you gave up the boxing ring.
While you pondered your answer I was in an awful state.
And I felt worse later when I found out that you were great.
I had no idea you had almost gotten to your boyhood dream
And that you were one of the favorites for the Olympic team
You said you’d think about it and you’d not lead me astray
That you’d give up boxing if I agreed on a wedding day.
When we became an item idle tongues did surely wag,
Friends and both of our families raised a warning flag.
That I was far too old for you they all did readily agree
I was almost twenty nine  and you were just twenty three
You were to them like Anthony and I was no Cleopatra
But we knew we could do it our way just like Frank Sinatra
I never regretted our decision you were so kind and gentle
Even headed good hearted and never temper mental
I loved to walk with you in autumn down by the river
And share your coat or sweater if I started to shiver
Remember the pictures we took of the rising of the moon,
And heard ducks quacking and the plaintive cry of a loon.
Other days we’d sit in parks beneath old spreading trees
Then eat homemade sandwiches made of ham and cheese
We always helped each other sow flowers in the early spring
Or listen to the birds in the trees as to their loves they’d sing.
We often watched the deer and her baby roam around so free
As they ate apples on the ground or sometimes from our tree
Or watched snapping turtle babies head off for their pond
On the other side of the highway in the valley far beyond.
Or chase after the little rabbits as they did their bunny hop
Heading off to their mother bellies full of our lettuce crop.
And when I got to the garden where they had left some poop,
You would joke with me half hearted about having rabbit soup.
Nearly all were here today Jim and Jack and Pat and Mary
Nelly had some excuse and couldn’t make it she is so contrary
The grand children all were here the girls and the boys
Cap guns, whistles, computers and all other kinds of toys.
Were scattered round the floor all day a regular mess
But I did enjoy all the extra company I readily confess
Johnny just turned 18 the one we thought would be a writer
Has fallen in love with your medals and wants to be a fighter
He said he’s read everything about you on a Google page.
And how you turned the Golden Gloves into your own rampage.
When again I hear of you and fighting my eyes turn damp.
 I think of you again my darling, my one and only Champ.



No comments:

Post a Comment