Wednesday, December 20, 2017

You said we'd meet again April 2016

You said we’d meet again © by Tony Fallon April 2016.

The Gods must have been working overtime and meant for us to meet
My store should have been closed when you drove down our street
I don’t think you’d have given me a second glance if we had met elsewhere
You being in the prime years of your life and me, an old man on Medicare.

The day we met, I’ll ne’er forget it was the eleventh of September
That is a date many others hate but I shall always fondly remember
You were inspiring I was inquiring we both are natural question askers
And we quickly found other common ground we both are multi-taskers.

As we talked I was amazed at how respect for each other started to grow
Of course, we had one other great thing in common our great love of radio
You told me you were here for only one week then to Canada you’d depart
From such humble beginnings, a lifelong friendship was beginning to start

You seemed to like my poetry and jokes and my real old Irish tales
And we both like going to auctions and Bingo and even garage sales
 I could never keep up with you if you put on your roller skates
But you said that would never stop us from being real soul mates

You came across as a fun person honest open minded and sincere
I love being with you the picture of us together is my souvenir
You fill my heart with life and hope you are my greatest asset
And life will never be the same again I’m so glad that we met

There was great regret and I was upset the day you bid me goodbye
That aching pain in my heart and brain the ready teardrop in my eye
You told me that we’d soon meet again but I was a doubting Thomas
You here today makes me so happy you kept your half of that promise.

 I was always looking for someone like you and we met by accident
If you were living in America our meetings would be more frequent
But absence makes the heart grow fonder you are as close as a phone call  
And the next few days will be so much fun with you, far, far from Montreal


No comments:

Post a Comment