Saturday, December 23, 2017

You couldn’t wait © Tony Fallon082617

You couldn’t wait © Tony Fallon082617
You told me that you couldn’t wait not even for two years
As I was headed off to America with sad and lonely tears
When you told me that at Shannon I really was badly shaken
I asked you to repeat what you had said in case I was mistaken
With most of my money spent on the ticket I just could not perceive
That you were blackmailing me with an offer to marry you or leave
I know your mothers kept reminding you about being left on the shelf
With all her children married except your brother Tommy and yourself
Your parents and mine are old and grey bent over stiff and sore
I didn’t want the life of a farmer but to earn money and open a store
The life of the small farmer is over you can’t even cut your own turf
And you can’t make a living catching crabs or any other fish in the surf
You knew I didn’t have the kind of money for a respectable life
And I wouldn’t think of marrying you if I couldn’t support a wife
Our old house you wanted to move into has no plumbing or heat
With a Rayburn in the kitchen which is practically obsolete
I would never ask you to sacrifice my heart would be full of guilt
We should very seriously consider having another house built
But to build a house of substance would require mortgages and grants
Or borrowing a whole lot of money from all our uncles and aunts
You can’t live on dreams or the truest love everybody knows
When children begin to arrive you need money for shoes and clothes
I didn’t want to have children always one check away from starvation
I wanted them to be independent with a decent secondary education
I had seven long hours to ponders on my very first trip to the states
I knew by the time I landed I would never marry a woman who dictates
Getting off the plane I felt weary as I thought of my shattered hopes
Luckily I had my brother and sister before me to show me the ropes
I got work in construction and I was making a decent amount
I went to the bank and I opened my very first savings account
Every morning at 7 o’clock I am ready for my daily tasks
And I say I came over from Sligo in Ireland if anybody asks
Then I met a girl from Canada who was half protestant and half Jew
And I had more fun in two weeks with her than I had in years with you
She loved to read or hear my poetry and listen to my sad Irish tales
We went together to Karaoke and an auction and a good few Garage Sales
She has beauty and wit and a wisdom that belied her young age
We talked about each others life openly helping me release all my rage
Not one thing was off the table religion and politics were discussed
But the one thing she kept repeating was me to once more learn to trust
What a wonderful companion she was even though her time here was short
She didn’t need me as much I needed her and she gave me plenty of support
She said that love is like a flower watered by teardrops since it was a seed
But sometimes the prettiest flower can flourish right next to a weed
It’s been two long years now since your position you clearly expressed
There has been no letters or phone calls so I guess it was not done in jest
I’ve sent a bit of money home to my father the foundation is already set
And another year here in New York the house will be built without debt
I met a young one here from Mayo she’s fed up of all the New York strife

She said she’d live with me forever in Sligo and be a good mother and wife

No comments:

Post a Comment