Saturday, December 30, 2017

In The Diner© Tony Fallon 123017

In The Diner© Tony Fallon 123017

BEFORE YOU READ THIS POEM THERE ARE TWO ENDINGS
PLEASE READ BOTH BEFORE COMMENTING.

The conversation was going nowhere their voices were raised
He looked like he had been drinking his eyes were glazed
She said she had to return to her job to earn compensation
And couldn’t waste her time with this stupid conversation
He said you know I love you but you are not at all sincere
If you don’t quit this fucking job tonight I am out of here

The girl was quite beautiful but she seemed in great despair
She had just broken up I think there was no more affair
She was working in the local diner and she kept on serving
I sat at the table eating my meal casually observing
She came over to my table and said how about ice cream
I have a half off coupon which you can immediately redeem
            FIRST ENDING
They found her body in the river both her lungs collapsed
From the time I saw her in the diner ten hours had elapsed
I could have wound up in the river too if I had become involved
The police have a suspect in mind the case will soon be solved
I don’t know if I know the guilty one I did nor see him return
So I’ll mind my own business it’s none of my concern
………SECOND ENDING
I asked her if she had a ride home she said she did not
And she was afraid to go outside that he’d kill her in the lot
She said she’d be welcome at her mother on the mountain top
And he would never venture there her father was a cop
I talked to her mother on the phone and she gave me the address
And every time I go into the diner now I get a hug and a big caress.

If I write 3 more tomorrow I will have written 61 since Nov 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment