Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Year’s Eve © Tony Fallon 123117

New Year’s Eve © Tony Fallon 123117

It’s the day before New Year’s and time to reflect
As from our old habits we try to disconnect
To make them important we say resolutions
To give up something without substitutions

We also think back to days of yore
And friends who died in some foreign war
I also remember a death that really shocked me
A young man dyeing of a heart attack at age twenty three

We who are immigrants are not always up to date
And when the neighbor dies its already too late
Sickness can be cured but death can’t be prevented
And if you die in a sick bed I’m sure you’ve repented

When I was a young lad I thought sixty five
Would be as many years as I would survive
I think I’m alive because I don’t smoke anymore cigarettes
And for that New Year’s resolution I have no regrets


No comments:

Post a Comment