Saturday, December 23, 2017

Dancin Romancin © Tony Fallon.042517

Dancin Romancin © Tony Fallon.042517

You said that you would dance as I took your hand
You said you came over from the west of Ireland
I said with that accent you are not from Idaho
You are probably from some town in county Mayo
You said I was close but you came from Castlerea
And had driven a bus in Dublin for the CIE
You could dance better than me and did not complain
When I stepped on your toes which surely caused pain
I told you at fox trots and waltzes I was a bit of a menace
You laughed and said “Can you dance the Siege of Ennis?”
With the Stack and The Donkey I found my comfort Zone
Sure my mother was a step dancer from County Tyrone
When I went outside later you were having a smoke
On the way back to the dance floor we each had a coke
I told you I had an old Ford that was falling apart
And I’d like to take you home if I could get it to start.
I was being totally honest and I guess that counts as a plus
It’s hard to impress a Castlerea girl who once drove a bus
When we got back inside they were starting a fling
And right after that they had the twist and some swing
I did pretty well for myself without any major faults
But I sat out the next one which was an old Irish waltz
I thought a romance was staring and I was going someplace
I didn’t ask for anything that night only a loving embrace
You don’t answer my phone calls and I see you no more
I hope you have not gone back to old Erin’s green shore
There is nothing more that I can do

Where this romance goes is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment