Saturday, December 23, 2017

Promises © Tony Fallon. 1/10 /2017

Promises © Tony Fallon. 1/10 /2017

I’ve often told you this before my darling Maureen
That I am tired of living here in Cairo in County Greene
If you’d come to Roscommon I’d treat you like a Queen
We’d settle by the Shannon where it’s quiet and serene.
We’d get a cottage near Lecarrow which would be remote
And just for the two of us we’d buy a little motor boat
On many Saturdays, we’ll get dressed up in cap and coat
To visit your many relatives in Mullingar and Moate
Of the beautiful river scenery many pictures we will take
Watch the flight of the swallow and listen to the corncrake
We’ll watch the sun rise over Westmeath as we come awake
Then drive up to Ballagh, Rahara to see the disappearing lake
A few miles farther on I’ll show you where I went to school
Where I learned English and math from the great Mick O’Toole
To the ones who didn’t do their homework he could be very cruel
He didn’t have a sally rod he kept order with a wooden rule.
Right next door was the old church where we all went to mass
Where the men who stayed by the back door Fr Lohan did harass
The walls are still standing but in the windows, there’s no glass
Where we used to kneel and pray sometimes you’ll see grass
Then we’ll visit Lacken once full of families named Cunninghams
Where the men folk took care of the cattle sheep and lambs
While my grandmother and her mother made blackberry jams
They carried around the little ones as they could not afford prams
You claim that I’m not religious we’ll you’re in for a bit of a shock
One sunny summer Sunday we’ll leave Lecarrow at eight o’clock
If there’s no traffic we’ll be in time for ten o’clock mass in Knock
And you will get the special blessing along with the rest of the flock
I have many cousins and nieces there whom you will absolutely adore
We can go to Coffey’s on Tuesday nights to hear songs and tales of yore
A guy with a greener thumb than my mother is named Mickey Hoare
He’ll have roses blooming in summer around the windows and front door.

What more can I promise you Maureen for you to Ireland embark
It’s quiet enough where we are going but you are not afraid of the dark
I’ll get you a good watch dog and if a stranger comes he’ll bark
If Roscommon gets into the all Ireland final I’ll take you to Croke Park

No comments:

Post a Comment