Saturday, December 23, 2017

Me and the JCB © Tony Fallon4/2/2017

Me and the JCB © Tony Fallon4/2/2017

You and I sat beside the Shannon in the fading evening light
Before you headed off for America on an Aer Lingus flight
If it wasn’t for the swans and ducks we’d have been all alone
As the lights reflected on the river south of us in Athlone
We renewed our promises to each other and solemnly did swear
That no third party would ever ruin our special love affair
I knew you loved your parents yet to me they showed malice
It was not for your health they were sending you to Dallas
They were hoping that you’d find a man in a professional field
A rancher with some cattle or a medical man who healed
Who would want you for your beauty and you would control
But I wanted you to be free I just wanted your heart and soul.
They knew I’d never become rich by daily installing fences
But I did an honest day’s work and I paid all my expenses
I told your father if he’d guarantee my signature I’d buy a JCB
And drain the entire farmer’s land on both sides of Lough Ree.
I shared with you my ambitions and my wildest dreams
Of draining all the local bog land into the local streams
And of hiring a few ambitious unemployed local lads
And telling everybody about us in local newspaper ads.
You are back from America and they are calling you the Yank
But you haven’t changed a bit the good lord I thank
You greeted me on arrival with even more emotion
Than the night we parted before you went over the ocean
 You said your aunt with our love story was so excited
And she’ll come over for the wedding if she’s invited.
She’d love to return again to where her life began
And visit the grave of a man in her past one Joseph Moran
She also gave you a check so when she comes she’ll see
Sitting, somewhere in Kiltoom, our brand new JCB.



No comments:

Post a Comment