Sunday, December 24, 2017

Moving to East Durham © Tony Fallon.jan26 2017

Moving to East Durham © Tony Fallon.jan26 2017

I came up to East Durham in the summer time of the year
Stopped into to a bar and bought coupla pints of beer
After that Jennifer said would you like a shot?
In the next hour that was not the only drink I bought.
By now the crowd for the quiz was arriving
Jenny said you’ll have to walk because you’re not driving
I wandered into the office of Anne Lafferty Real Estate
And I said aren’t you open a little biteen late.
She said she came in especially for a late showing
If the person did not show to her home she would be going.
I told her I though East Durham was a really fine place
And I wouldn’t mind looking at it if it had plenty of space
Well, the house was just lovely right beside a stream
Owning a house in the country had been a lifelong dream
The wife was full of objections but those I shot down
We would soon be living in East Durham town
My company had an office in Albany and I would transfer
Since she didn’t like Florida this she would probably prefer
The next few months were busy but they quickly passed
And by the middle of September, we had all moved in at last
The children were busy trying to make new friends
Checking out the local customs and the latest trends
Each week to their old friends they were writing letters
Telling them about the cold and that they had new sweaters
That was one thing the owners never mentioned when they sold
That it could be fifty-eight in October and that is very cold
The trees so beautiful in summer their leaves quickly shed
The children had to rake them they'd rather play instead
The neighbors were all laughing at us especially Johnny Boyle
He said I hope you have a tank or two full of heating oil
He said I hope you know you’ve bought in a Frigid Zone
And to make it feel colder the wind is always blowing
He also warned about this lethal thing they call black ice
And to get good tires for the car was his very best advice
One night driving down 145 I hit a f&^%*&^ deer
Wound up with many bruises the car damage was severe
I called up the insurance company and quickly discovered
That the damage done by a deer to your car isn’t covered
The TV said over the next few weeks to expect two feet of snow
And that the temperature could sink to at least five below
This moving out of Florida is a whole different ballgame
I know I talked you into this mess and I am full of blame
I know I’m not the best of company and I’m often cross
I want to go back to Florida even if we have to sell at a loss

No comments:

Post a Comment