Friday, December 22, 2017

Loved me in Mayo 2017

You told me you loved me © Tony Fallon.
You told me that you loved me about five years ago
Days after we met at Croagh Patrick in the county of Mayo
You had fallen on the way down and dislocated you knee
We were the only three on the mountain you, your sister  and me
You had many scratches and bruises and you couldn’t stand erect
It was the middle of October no help could we expect
We were far away from major towns without any phone service
To leave you both there on the mountain made me very nervous
Your sister was no help to you or me as she continued to bawl
So to ask her to find us help was really not the correct call
To help you both get to the bottom I quickly volunteered
Any thoughts of getting to the mountain top quickly disappeared
As the sun set over the ocean the temperature started to drop
You were not able to walk but if I held you, you could hop
Starting down the mountain with only one walking stick
The thought that crossed my mind was that you not get sick
I talked non-stop to you as we came down the slopes
About where you came from and all your dreams and hopes
That was my best attempt at keeping your eyes open wide
I knew you were alive I could feel your heart beating by my side
I thought it a coincidence we came from the same town in the Stares
I was mountaineering you were in love with the poetry of Yeats 
Well we made it down in two hours without further mishap
Which was not too long if we consider your handicap
I made you as comfortable as I could in my little Ford car
And took you as fast as I could to the hospital in Castlebar
Your third cousins came for your sister and took her to Galway
I really hated to admit it but I was glad she was out of the way
They really fussed about you and gave you the best of care
And I fell asleep in the hallway in a very uncomfortable chair
They kept you for observation though your bruises were small
They were worried about internal injuries as that was quite a fall
Well the word quickly spread across Mayo about our little caper
I was a local hero with my picture on the front page of the paper
I visited you every day and night but to Scotland, I had to depart
You cried when I was leaving you said I was breaking your heart
Three weeks later we met again in Ennis down in the County Clare
Before we went back to America we were a young loving pair
For four long years together we had so much joy and fun
The Mountaineer and the poetry lover’s hearts beating as one
Then one day you told me your sister was unemployed
And if she stayed with us for a week or two would I be annoyed
You said she would not stay longer of that you were sure
I remember the day on Croagh Patrick she was not very mature
She still had childish ways about her they had not been removed
But she was twenty-one now and her figure had greatly improved
She had all the right things in proportions in all the right places
And her mouth looked much cuter without those big ugly braces
Whenever you were not at home with me she’d openly flirt
As she paraded around the kitchen in a skimpy tee-shirt
When she wasn’t flirting we sure had some great conversations
About her plans and dreams and her many job applications
I sat you down one night and discussed this information
You said you trusted the two of us maybe it was my imagination
I told you that by staying six months I thought she had overstayed
If I had to put up with this longer my nerves would surely be frayed
Then she went to you one Sunday evening and I understand she said
That I was the one who had made suggestions about us going to bed
When I mentioned this to Kate next morning she said you were uptight
She would move out in the evening she did not want a family fight
So I was stuck in the middle of you and your younger sister
Of course, you believed all she said even though I hadn’t kissed her
Now you won’t even talk to me or engage in any kind of debate
I have one bit of solace I can talk on the phone to your sister Kate
I often think of fate and how we all met in Ireland by chance
And how Kate may be the sister who will be my next romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment