Saturday, December 23, 2017

Family Secret© Tony Fallon 2/25/17

Family Secret© Tony Fallon 2/25/17
Your breathing was heavy and  slow and deep
As with your head on my shoulder, you fell asleep
We were both cold and wet from the sudden rain
As we walked to the station to catch the train.
As you sat there sleeping my mind turned back the clock
Of us growing up together on the same Inwood block
I fell in love with long, long ago in your communion frock
When you agreed to come dancing it was a pleasant shock.
As soon as we had gotten to the station
I had asked the clerk for information
As to when the next train should arrive
He said “if it stays on schedule about half-past five”
I said your trains come very rarely
He said “you should come here early”
I could see I was not winning this discussion
He had a thick accent I think he was Russian
That was nearly an hour we’d have to wait for a ride
But at least the station was warmer than it was outside.
I asked if you wanted to walk four or five blocks down
Where we might catch a commuter train going uptown
You said that you would not be able to walk
From al the dancing your legs had gone into shock
Besides to get to the street we’d have to walk upstairs
And I should know that Russian wouldn’t refund our fares
You said you didn’t think you could stay awake
And would I mind very much if you took a little break
An hour later I tried to rouse you and got no cooperation
Before I got you awake the train had gone out of the station
I knew now when we got home there would be ructions
Your father had given me all kinds of threats and instructions
I’d be like a lamb being brought to the slaughter
For staying out all night with his one and only daughter
I’ll never forget your father that morning his Irish temper aflame
And you telling him to calm down that you were to blame.
You said we didn’t drink anything and we didn’t smoke
We danced the whole night away and we met really nice folk
You told him you had more fun than all the rest of your life
And if I had the courage to ask you’d gladly be my wife
Your father and I stood there both speechless and amazed combined
And your father says “you’d better ask her before she changes her mind”.
So to our four children should this family secret be disclosed?

That I didn’t ask the question it was really you who proposed

No comments:

Post a Comment