Thursday, December 21, 2017

Dublin 1964 12317

Dublin 1964© Tony Fallon 1/23/17.
I was nineteen years old, out of work and not using my brain
So one morning I headed off to Dublin on the Westport train
I had never before been to this part of the nation
And I was excited getting off in Westland Row station
I was coming up from Roscommon for an interview
I didn’t know the difference between a Street and an Avenue
I was going to apply in Clery’s as I was in the drapery trade
There weren’t many jobs in Roscommon I was a bit dismayed
I had a letter of introduction from the local parish priest
They say If Mr. Guiney saw that your chances greatly increased
Well he liked the priest’s letter and he told me I had a job
Now I’d have nine pound in my pocket as well as fourteen bob.
Walking around the streets was exciting for a young country bloke
There were lots of things I’d like to buy but I was practically broke
The short clothes the young ones were wearing I really couldn’t believe
As I walked up and down O’Connell St I really did not want to leave
I did not stay very long not more than four hours I’d have guessed
Then I made my way down the street to my train back home to the west
As the train chugged though the towns and the farmland I felt pretty glad
Until I realized in a few day I’d be saying goodbye to my mother and dad
I had a few friends in Dublin on Saturday with their father I had a wee chat
And before we parted he gave me the address of their Dublin flat
So early on Sunday morning to Dublin I started to hike
I knew the bus was behind me as they were not out on strike
Not many people wanted to stop because I had a suitcase
Someone brought me to Athlone which is my birthplace
A couple brought me to Kinnegad so I could not despair
That would knock at least eight shillings off the bus fair
I was half way there now and feeling good that is the truth
When a young fellow and his girl friend brought me to Maynooth
There were hourly buses to Dublin now but I still refrained
I’d keep thumbing unless the weather changed and it rained
Ten minutes later my prayers were answered and I was in God’s Grace
An elderly couple would be passing by my friends on Gardiner Place
I hadn’t seen my friends in month’s boy were they surprised
And there was a vacancy in the house that they just had advertised.
So a day that started out edgy in the west ended as an upper

My friends were happy to see me and I was in time for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment