Sunday, December 31, 2017

Missing you. © Tony Fallon 421 17

Missing you. © Tony Fallon 421 17

I can’t fall in love with another because I cannot pretend
The great love I had for you has suddenly come to an end
Friends say I’m acting hopeless and wander around like I’m lost
The end of   the days we spent together has certainly come at a cost

I never met anyone remotely like you until I was old and grey
You seemed like a gift sent from heaven on that one special day
You were honest and cheerful you were polite you were kind
You said both our stars up in heaven must finally be aligned

I enjoyed your kind of unique company and I didn’t cling
You enjoyed your freedom and you said you didn’t need a ring
You said “together without a ring we would either sink or swim
Neither of us picked the other on some silly teenage whim
Our love for each other was permanent and not fleeting
And a little band of gold never kept a cheater from cheating”

But you had this one little secret which you kept concealed
Which in your Dear John Letter to me you have finally revealed
The letter (but not the secret) to me was so hurtful and stunning
I knew the secret months ago I wish you would stop running
You can’t run away from problems whenever they suddenly appear
You must trust someone who loves you help face down your fear

You have made your decision and moved to some other town
You don’t have to look over your shoulder I won’t hunt you down
You had a reason for leaving but your memory does not get dimmer
The thoughts of living without you daily grow grim and grimmer
This constant moving on your mind must be exacting a terrible toll
I wish I had you here to love me I wish I had you here to console

But if you ever decide to return just bring two strong cups of tea
And say there was a big crowd and a very long line at the local deli
You’ll be forgiven for this little fib as you’ve never before lied

I’ll be waiting here for you forever with my arms opened wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment