Sunday, December 24, 2017

My First Day in East Durham © Tony Fallon.2017

My First Day in East Durham © Tony Fallon.2017


When I’d be playing football in Bronx Gaelic Park
The Catskill Mountains I’d hear in many a remark
People used to ask me if I’d ever been 
To the town of East Durham in the County Greene
I had to admit I was only here a while
And I didn’t own a car to drive there in style.
The Roscommon lads told me they thought I already knew
That the team had hired a bus going to the Tower View
Roscommon would be playing with umpires and referee
And since I was on the team the bus fare would be free
I needed no more encouragement or to be recruited
I’d be there on the bus newly togged and booted
As we came in on 145 I couldn’t believe the scenery
I don’t know about forty shades but there was a lot of greenery
I don’t remember the game and we might have lost
But we got a fine dinner and there was no cost
A band was playing in the hall the music was loud
Girls were coming into see us soon there was a crowd
The bus driver didn’t make many friends when at eight o’clock
He said those not on the bus in five minutes would have to walk
He got everybody on the bus without too big a fight.
But one day in East Durham only whet my appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment