Saturday, December 23, 2017

Roscommon 2017© Tony Fallon 72917

Roscommon 2017© Tony Fallon 72917

I can’t wait for it to be over and it hasn’t started yet
I am so bloody nervous I haven’t even placed a bet
If I was indeed to wager I think I’d worry and fret
Because this Mayo team is a real and present threat
They have vast experience they’ve been here before
And we haven’t won the cup since nineteen forty-four
Remember O’Malley and Earley and also Onsie Hoare
They say Mayo has a curse but I think that is Irish lore
They’ll be heading for Dublin early the Rossie’s cavalcade
The cream of Connaught Seniors on their latest crusade
The candles all have been lit the women all have prayed
Just win with honor and sportsmanship always displayed
The cogs must all be meshing with accuracy and precision
The game must be won there can be no split decision
No excuses allowed about us being in second division
I wish here in America the game was on television
Twenty points will not win this game in my estimation
And this must be hammered home by the administration
To get rid of Cork or Roscommon Mayo shows no discrimination
So we must be well ahead as we approach the end of regulation
We want a clear cut win on this Bank Holiday replay
Even though it’s putting money in the coffers of the GAA
Twice a year is far to often to have to enter the fray
With the likes of the O’Connor’s Moran and the great O’Shea
If we do lose the game our season is too soon closed
But we will have learned from the teams we have opposed
We still are Connaught champs we will not have been deposed
And proved we are not dead and buried as experts had supposed.


No comments:

Post a Comment