Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The other Westmeath Bachelor © Tony Fallon.Jan 2017?

The other Westmeath Bachelor © Tony Fallon.Jan 2017?

left Westmeath in Ireland in nineteen eighty-three
And headed for Albany in New York far across the sea
My uncle’s wife seemed nice enough her name was Sheree
And she was industrious and always was as a busy as a bee
My uncle was a contrary man and we often did not agree
I hardly stayed long enough there to have a dozen cups of tea
I told him that I thought he was the black sheep of the family
And the next time I saw him I’d have a Bachelor’s degree.
Of course, that was more bravado with little hope of reality
I wished I was home in Athlone with my girlfriend Marie
So from the suburbs of Albany I did rather quickly flee
I hitchhiked to East Durham and got a job cleaning up debris
The owner asked me if I could paint as he was a retiree
And he and his wife would soon be celebrating their jubilee
On salary and conditions, he and I quickly did agree
My bed would be in the cottage beside the big oak tree
Things were going far better than I could ever foresee
And then I met their only daughter a recent divorcee
Peggy Lee was four years older childless and carefree
She told me if I took care of her she’d take good care of me
There were no other men around so work she could guarantee
If I taught her how to drive a car and she became a licensee
The lessons went very well until she put her hand on my knee
And told me brazenly that to my abode she had a spare key
I replied that I thought this was not the time to be smoochy
This wasn’t a Volkswagen she was driving it was a big Humvee
She said the only thing she didn’t like was my hair and goatee
And if I’d shave it all off she’d bring a fine bottle of Chablis
I went to Dominick the barber in Cairo and gladly paid his fee
And when I looked in the mirror I had to admit I did look sexy.
The daily chores were easy but at night I was a detainee
And very often in the morning I lacked my normal energy
So to supplement the food I ate I was on vitamin A B and C
I never cared for the kind of crap you see on American TV
I did a bit of radio and loved the Country Music I played on my CD
Last year on vacation she took me out to Nashville Tennessee
In the winter we went to Vaile in Colorado where I learned to ski
And on our honeymoon, she said it would have to be in Hawaii
I said “wait a minute now there is the question of my Marie
Over there in the town of Athlone in Ireland far across the sea”
She said she was a modern girl she was not against bigamy
Two to a bed was fine but she wouldn’t mind if it was three.
I think news like that in Athlone could cause wails like a banshee
That would be breaking one commandment maybe two or three
She also told me for my birthday I would get a brand new ATV 
With everything paid in full plus taxes even the registration fee
She said she was planning her parent’s party she had one inquiry
Would I supply the entertainment with my DJ stuff and be the MC
I couldn’t very well refuse this simple request and spoil her family spree
And let down my little kootshie woochie my little Peggy Lee

So I even agreed to sing a song and recite some poetry
Well the party was a blast and they danced and sang without a fight
And I was being introduced to one and all as being Mister Right
The very next evening she went shopping and left me home alone
So I decided them and there to call my other love over in Athlone.
When the phone rang her mother answered "Mrs. Mary McGee" 
And I can tell you the questions were flying I got the third degree
She said she didn’t like me she liked John Delaney aka Johnny D
Who owns a fine farm in Galway and a pub in the town of Loughrea
I asked her about her daughter, she said she’s visiting Knockcroghery
After that, she’s going to visit her uncles and aunts below in Castlerea.
So then and there I decided to fly to Athlone on the banks of Lough Ree
I never thought of all I was leaving behind until I passed through Kilkee
I took a sudden notion to go to Kerry and I met my Marie in Tralee
And we got married like Dermot Henry did in the village of Asdee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment